Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Deconstructing the Pattern

I decided to see if I could sort out the pattern that was faulty. (By the way, the link to the pattern on a Russian site no longer works, so perhaps the designer realised it's not a good pattern) I'm a beginner at beaded crochet, so this was rather rash. Patterns are tricky because what you see is not what you get. Beads are pushed slightly to the right as you work, so the grid that shows you which bead to put where doesn't look like the final result. A zig and a zag looks like this:
Anyway, I gave it a go. I started by drawing the pattern from scratch. Hmm. What happens is that at some point the repeats run into each other and you end up with 4 beads of a colour in a row, which disrupts the zigzag pattern:
I revisited the original pattern and removed one row of the chart, so that the second repeat would follow on from the first. The designer has made adjustments to compensate for the effect I've described:
I don't like the look of that. I thought perhaps I could make the circumference 10 round instead of 9, but that doesn't begin to work. It's a fatal flaw. Or do you think you could carry on regardless?

6 comments:

  1. I saw a plaid one once and wondered how many years it would take to make that pattern I love your diagrams and wondered how it is done Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see what is wrong but sorry I can't help. I wish I could but it doesn't look easy. I think you're doing a good job with the pattern, just play with it a little more, you're learning a lot in few time. Lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing of that, but I sure love seeing your work!!! :) And such pretty colors!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all seems like Greek to my bead-challenged brain - I can understand the bare basics but not the depth of your experimentation.
    I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out eventually :-)
    Lovely necklace in previous post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All seems a little bit confusing, but I am sure that it must be easier than it looks

    ReplyDelete