An account of the craftwork I get up to, tatting, spinning, knitting, sewing, whatever
Thursday, May 4, 2017
When I did a lot of dyeing, I had an enormous stainless steel bucket that could easily handle a kilogram of yarn. These days I normally dye yarn in very small quantities in my microwave or oven. If I have to dye more than a couple of skeins, I dye a multicoloured or multishade yarn so that I don't have to worry about evenness. But today I had a go at dyeing bigger batches of a single colour. I thought that if I soaked the yarn in a plastic bucket of dye water and then put it into the oven to set the dye, that might work The results were mixed. I did learn that I must soak the yarn in dye and water without vinegar (acid) for a while before adding the vinegar. The green came out pretty well, the yellow and peach not so much, though they'll be fine for the blanket project. I still have one more dyelot to do, but I have to finish spinning it first!
This is the yellow in an oven bag, ready to go into the oven. The oven bag works well to prevent it drying out.