Monday, January 30, 2017

Not Such A Good Idea

When I made Jack's work shirts,  I had the bright idea that I would make the collars and pockets in different fabrics so that the shirts weren't all identical. Hmm. The pockets on two of them have worn out before the shirts themselves:
So it wasn't such a good idea after all. I'm allergic to mending, but replacing four pockets was going to take a lot less time and effort than making two new shirts, so I duly got on with it. I replaced the pockets with the original fabric:
The shirts have faded somewhat, but they're still in good condition. Next time I'll make sure that the contrast fabric is strong, instead of just paying attention to its pattern.

10 comments:

  1. That's something I wouldn't have thought of. I remember when you finished these shirts. They looked so nice with the contrasting fabric. I'm also allergic to mending, but I think I'd have felt the same as you. The new pockets look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good practical solution !
    Just asking - would a lining on the pocket material have helped?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so, a strong one. That would be an alternative solution, so you could still use those fabrics but have longer lasting pockets.

      Delete
  3. Well we know he uses the pockets a bunch 💟he must love the shirts you made him and that nice🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same idea as Muskaan about lining the pockets. Sounds like an awful lot of work,either way! Maybe you could ask your Perth-based daughter to post a couple of King Gee work shirts to her father!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad that the pocket fabrics wore out so quickly. How cute that you are allergic to mending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, even the 'same' fabric from a different bolt is different. Sorry you had to replace them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what he puts in those pockets but they sure do get used. Great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pockets look like they have been put to good use. It is nice to know that your husband likes to wear the shirts!

    ReplyDelete