Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Sewing

When I was in Perth in March, my sister-in-law took a group of us to a big fabric shop that was having a sale. It was wonderful to see a huge array of fabrics and notions. I kept my hands firmly in my pockets for most of the afternoon, knowing that whatever I bought would have to be carried through airports! But the bright cottons definitely had Isabel and Annika's  names on them. I bought two lengths for each of them, one for a dress and the other for a shorts-and-shirts set. If I sew them now, I can post them off to arrive in time for Summer.

Changing tack, I had to get out a different set of tools . I put away my shuttles and thread and dug out my sewing machine and pattern box. Now, where are my dressmaking scissors?

10 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting you all have wintertime there. love the tiny elephants super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fabrics - I think I can just see a strawberry design at the bottom which I like very much. Enjoy your sewing! ( you could always add a tatted trim to the necklines..... )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are going to look fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute fabrics and pattern! I love making dresses for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mind if I ask you how you would stiffen a bit of tatting, I have a butterfly that I made a while ago and am thinking of putting it on my next picture but I want it to be with the wings standing up. any ideas?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use craft glue, thinned down with a bit of water. It dries clear, does the job and doesn't attract pests like starch does.

      Delete
  6. By the way, I wish I had some little girls to make dresses for, my lot only like stuff with names on. sad isn't it?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) it is sad. You'll have to find some girls who do want custom made dresses.

      Delete
  7. You will so enjoy making these dresses. Sometimes it is necessary to put your shuttles down for a short while

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty prints :-)
    It is fun making dresses for girls !

    ReplyDelete