Thursday, January 7, 2016

Undecided

I thought this bias scarf pattern from Stashbuster Knits by Melissa Leapman would show off the colours in this recycled sari silk yarn. It does. But the yarn is uneven and the fabric I've created seems a bit lumpy. Last night I thought: no, no, this won't do. This morning I like it better!

 I did some research to see what other people have done with this type of yarn. First of all I learnt that the yarn is made from bits left over from making saris - so recycled saris is not quite accurate! There is a wide variety of yarn made like this. Finer yarns can be used for scarves and shawls. I saw mention of bags and cushion covers. There is also jewellery. Perhaps I could combine it with handmade beads? I don't have enough yarn to weave or hook a mat, another option I saw. Hmmm. Perhaps this needs more thought.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I know of this yarn, it's most effective when knitted on large needles - of course it will drop, but choose your pattern accordingly. I've seen beautiful scarves and vests made from this silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom got me started with sari silk. I haven't tried knitting with it, but it is wonderful for weaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I thought perhaps I might try weaving it. I'm also wondering about combining it with black wool, still knitting.

      Delete
  4. Not seen this yarn before, so I look forward to seeing what you do with it
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure I know what this sari yarn is like. Is it like leftover woven pieces or threads that would have been used for a sari. I don't think I have ever seen a sari except for pictures, movies and television. If its one of a kind a cushion sounds good.

    ReplyDelete