Saturday, September 26, 2015

Writing the Pattern

I designed this pullover many years ago as part of my 'Safari Range'. Now that I have the hang of knitting multicolour socks, I thought I'd create a pair of leopard skin socks. I don't have my charts any more, but I still have this pullover, so I set out to copy it. It wasn't quite as easy as I supposed. I started off working row by row, but soon got into a muddle. I found it was better to work rosette by rosette. The sweater uses a repeat motif of 20 stitches and 21 rows, which I put onto knitting graph paper that I downloaded from the internet:
Then I needed to write down what I did so that I can make the second sock the same! The scribbles represent missteps that had to be redone. I wanted to use the leopard skin pattern on the top of the foot but not the sole. I found a tutorial to help me with that. The leg part was easy, with the 20 stitches of the chart on each needle, knitting in the round. The top of the foot had to be knitted  back and forth following one and a half charts. Hmm. My head kept boggling about where to start each row from and the results were not good:
 A leopard with mange perhaps? The answer was to chart the whole pattern for the foot part:
Better:

6 comments:

  1. Your knitting skills are beyond amazing! I LOVE this pattern you are creating for knitted socks. Truly Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat. I've never seen leopard print knitting before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of work! Those will be wonderful socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting process ! You do love challenges :-)) The socks are coming along beautifully .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew ! it makes me giddy just thinking about this pattern, well done, I would not have the patience. Can't wait to see these finished.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the jumper that you have made, it is such a neat pattern and works well on the socks.

    ReplyDelete