Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Butterfly Earrings

I wanted the butterfly bead to hang unsecured within a ring of tatting. That turned out to be slightly more difficult than I envisioned. A single beaded ring large enough to contain the butterfly was unstable and ugly. My next thought was a ring of  inward facing rings, but I couldn't see how to attach the butterfly. Putting it on a picot would mean too much thread showing. Plan three worked - outward facing rings with the butterfly hanging from a chain. I threaded the butterfly bead onto the chain thread, then threaded a small bead on and went back through the butterfly. I could move that 'stack' into position, when I needed it. The same technique I used here.  I read Patty D's explanation on In Tatters, but Corina Meyfeldt has also explained it. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links they both are good at beads, and I have trouble, cause I don't tat with beads all the time too. Love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you solved the dilemma ; thanks for sharing ! Another tip to learn & apply :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable earrings! I admire your ability to keep working at a problem until you find a solution, something I really need to try more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Free Flying Butterflies are beautiful accented within your lovely tatting. Creative Butterfly Bliss...

    ReplyDelete