Monday, September 15, 2014

Report Back


Our trip to Upington and Kuruman went well. There are a few more people in South Africa who know how to make a double stitch, or a dubbelknoop. In Upington a group of 15 met in a well stocked habedashery shop, as you can see from the photos. One lady decided half way that tatting is not for her and left. I was quite surprised because she was doing well, but hey, no one is obliged to tat! Everyone else learnt how to flip and made good progress. It was quite a big group, so just as well Linda was with me to help. In a big group, some learn quicker than others, which has the  advantage that learners help each other.
The Kuruman group was smaller, only 6, which meant it was easier to help individually.
We enjoyed the trip. I don't know whether all the  participants will carry on with tatting, but some certainly will.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of new tatting friends!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the trip was a success - and I wonder how many balls of that lovely wool in the first picture came home with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) well spotted. 4 balls of bamboo yarn that I've been wanting to try.

      Delete
    2. My daughter bought some of that bamboo yarn and it is very nice and super soft!

      Delete
  3. Jy het Baie goed gedoen, Jane! Ek wens ek kon jou klas bywoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I think your teaching sounds very successful! I love the bookmarks too - a lovely gift for participants. I wonder why the one gal left if she was doing well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just said she wasn't enjoying it. But she had grasped the flip and was making progress.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't it feel good to pass on one's passion and skills ... teach in person ?! I'm sure you will be remembered by all your students who attempted tatting for the first time :-)
    What also intrigues me , Jane, is what You brought back from your groups / interaction (besides the wool). Teaching and learning go hand in hand ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed. The second group benefitted from things I learnt teaching the first group. And over all the experience was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I some how totally missed this blog looks like fun and would be fun to have been there I liked the little piece of muslin cloth with the tatting attached to it the pale colors were so pale and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that your trip was a sucess, it is always nice to work with others and share your ideas!

    ReplyDelete