Thursday, August 2, 2012

An Unknown Quantity


I bought this splendid fuschia cotton last week while Jack was at the dentist. When we got home,  I knitted a couple of samples. The lower one is knitted using 4mm needles. I was aiming for 'frothy' but it looked more 'scruffy'. So I knitted another sample using 2mm needles. It looks much crisper. I'll use those needles.

I want to knit a summer top for myself, but how many balls of cotton will I need? I'm copying a top I have, without a printed pattern, so the only way to find out was to knit a whole ball.

Turns out I will need  6 balls to make my top. Hmmm. I bought 5. The wool shop is in a little town we seldom go to.  I'm  hoping my neighbour will be able to get 2 balls for me tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to undo this and make a completely new plan.

The stitch pattern I'm using can be found here.

8 comments:

  1. The smaller needles are better - because cotton stretches! I hope you can get your two extra balls - maybe the shop will post them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that colour - so does Abbi my only granddaughter. I'd KILL for that colour and I wear it a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-)It is a great colour. Goes with all my skirts too, so I should get plenty of wear out of the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color and you know that i love so so so much this pattern!
    I will post in two day what i make ........i hope !

    Did you feel like to work with two color ?
    With my cotton with this pattern i feel it!
    Kiss from Rom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing that! Yes, it could work in two colours, good idea.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to say you that i make it symmetrical
    You must only make the repetion of twelve stitches plus one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking. I have a lot to learn about copying lace stitches!

      Delete