Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dyeing Thread



I well remember my excitement when I read on Yarnplayer's blog, four or five years ago, that she was dyeing thread to tat with. Wow, why didn't I think of that? I got out the cotton dyes I used to dye handspun cotton knitting yarns, and gave it a go. I used the same techniques, in minature. It worked a treat.

Marilee started a revolution. Since then, hand dyeing thread for tatting has become an industry. So big that the product has been reduced to its initials - HDT.

It's  messy, even when you only dye a few skeins, but I love the dye process and the results . The wooden frame in front of the sunlight bottle is my niddy noddy, which I use to wind the skeins. The thread I used is Cebelia 20. It seems a bit thick for 20, but that's what the label says.

No comments:

Post a Comment